Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Hope You Dance

The country song "I Hope You Dance" (don't know who it's by), is one of the songs that I feel most deeply in my body. The song for me is about getting off the sidelines in life and fully participating with our whole selves. I have always had this sense of so many possibilities for myself and everyone around me. I never understood how people could be bored, I can think of about 20 things I could be experiencing in every moment. There is so much beauty to see, so many books to read, so much amazing art, so many cool people I haven't met, so many places to see in the world, so many water adventures still to see, so many opportunities to create and express and love. Now I'm not saying I never lounge around and do nothing..but hanging out in nothing is pretty awesome when the rest of my life is so full.

Today I got a forwarded e-mail, normally I don't open forwarded mail but because it was my friend Daisy I did. The e-mail was about putting off joy. The paragraph that most struck me was about the women on the Titanic who may have passed up dessert at dinner that fateful night in order to cut back...Man that would've sucked. It made me think of all the worrying I do about what I eat, how much I eat..did I just eat too much? I realize how much energy I'm wasting in this arena, that I could be using to participate in all things I love. So for today I commit to me and you that I will use that energy for creating deeper connection with myself and anyone I play with today.

The bottom paragraph of this letter reads: "Life may not always be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance." I challenge anyone who reads this to take some area where you are using your energy to beat yourself up or worry and put that towards something you love instead..read a book..write a poem..tell someone you love them..Life is Short Jump In!!
Thanks for reading
P.S I'd love to hear any success stories you have by taking on this challenge today. You can
mail me at megan@mslifeworks.com

Megan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks Megan! for always presenting a playful toss! I accept the challege. For today I will play with joy! Annabeth

Anonymous said...

I have one area of my life where I think negative thoughts. I think tonight while I sleep I will think of ways to make the energy positive. I just finished reading a book and I found it to be a very enjoyable experience. I hardly have time to read with the kids. I want to go read another book. I still have to finishe Harry Potter 5, before the movie comes out in a couple of weeks. :-0.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I just love blogs.

Kristi

Megan said...

Kristi
Let me know how the sleep thing goes. I've been playing with creating things through rest sleep lately as well. i plan to post about this in the future.
Megan